The snail is one of the symbols of Burgundy and its gastronomy, and it is as delicious as it is fascinating!
This traditional Burgundy dish is a starter that is mainly consumed during the festive winter seasons (Hospices de Beaune’s auction, Christmas and New Year eve). We usually eat Burgundy snails in their shells, which are filled with a mixture of butter, parsley and garlic and placed in the oven.
In my family, of course, we eat this traditional dish, but my grandmother and mother cook snails differently. I can tell you that their recipe is as good – or even better than the traditional one. You will continue wiping your plate with some bread even when there is nothing left on it! 🙂
Recipe for Burgundy snails (escargots de Bourgogne)
Ingredients: (serves 4 people)
1x Garlic clove, minced finely
1x onion, sliced
1 Pack of white mushrooms, sliced thinly
2x Medium size tomatoes
12 – 16 Burgundy snails (already cooked, medium size)
1 Jar of fresh cream (Isigny, for example)
3 Tablespoons of chopped fresh flat parsley
Salt and Pepper as per your taste
Don’t forget some bread, to be able to soak up the sauce.
Directions: (preparation time: 20min)
- Stir fry the sliced mushrooms in a pan with salt and pepper until it’s cooked.
- In another pan, stir fry the sliced onion and garlic until it’s cooked. Then, add 2 fresh tomatoes (each cut into 4 pieces), add some salt and pepper and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked mushrooms into the pan with onion, garlic and tomatoes. Mix well together and add the fresh cream into the pan. Mix again and let the sauce cook for 10 minutes.
- Approx. 3 or 4 minutes before the end, add the snails to this delicate sauce. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Once cooked, serve on to 4 plates and serve this delicious starter with some fresh parsley on top.
Easy, simple and delicious!
This starter can be prepared in advance and heated up just a few minutes before your lunch or dinner.
Pernand Vergelesses Premier cru “Sous Fretille” – Domaine Pierre Meurgey
Meursault Premier Cru “Les Perrieres” – Domaine Michelot
Bon appétit et large soif!
At One B Wine, we bring you the most diverse and qualitative range of Burgundy wine appellations and producers. Please visit our website to know more about us and the wines we offer. You can also get in touch with us at email@example.com to know how we can assist you better.
Discover online, our signature collection of exceptionally crafted Burgundy wines and spirits.